Thursday, March 23, 2017

Gotta love the Marsh

I love that smell.  It’ll never be bottled and hanging out on the top shelf of Victoria's Secret, but the marsh has a distinct aroma that I dig.  It’s that smell that first greets and welcomes me to the game.


I love the game.  The search for those elusive reds that seem to appear and disappear effortlessly.  It’s the ultimate game of hide-n-seek.  At times, the sun will have them glowing like fire in the water.  Other times, the eyes search so hard they sting from the strain.





I love the eat.  That moment in time when cause and effect are perfectly balanced.  A romantic vision of tight loops, presenting handsome fly’s, to unsuspecting targets.  The tranquil marsh turned into a battle ground of rage and fury as the offering is victimized.



I love the conflict.  It’s complete anarchy, a tug-of-war between man and fish at the end of a fly rod.  Fly line ripping off the reel one moment.  Then the red turns and doubles back.  While you struggle to reacquire the lost line, you watch the red dive under your kayak.  There’s no tapping out, either clear the bow or watch your fly rod get shattered. 



I love the playing field.  It’s a place of natural beauty that becomes the ultimate obstacle course.  Marsh islands, oyster reefs, pilings and your own kayak are in play.  The winner is the one that can negotiate the obstacles the best. 





I love the surrender.  That moment when the game has been played and the victor chosen.  We shake hands and wish each other well because there are no losers today.  Watching my opponent swim away is the ultimate sign of respect.  The next encounter could go differently.  


6 comments:

  1. Excellent. Sure wish you'd give me a holler the next time you come down this way. I fish GI and the estuary just north of it. I'd love to pick your brain about filming your trips too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deal, but it'll be last minute. I only drive 6 hrs when I'm sure the conditions are right...usually 48-24 hrs. I'll answer any questions you have on filming. PM on FB or email, whatever is easier.

      Delete
  2. Romantic Drew. Next thing we know you'll be spouting poetry. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea came from my marketing department. Don't worry, everyone has been fired. We'll have none of that, lol!

      Delete
  3. good stuff. came across your videos from researching the Mayfly. I live on a tidal creek in Charleston and the Mayfly looks perfect for me needs. I think your post is making it look too easy! btw, i like that net. who makes it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, we both know it's not that easy but I hope I make it look fun. I lived in Aiken and just outside Hilton Head for almost 5 years (before I owned a kayak) and can say it would be something I would consider for the area. Not something I would want to paddle for several miles but I think it's a great inshore boat. Let me know if you have any specific questions? The net is made by Rising. It's a great net but I really like that I can change the bag out for my needs. The handle has a small screw that attaches to the basket. When I take it out I can change out the bag. I have a smaller bag for trout and the extra-large one for reds and grass carp. I'm actually working with them now to make me a smaller handle that is easier to wade with. Here's the link...http://www.risingfish.net/

      Delete