Monday, January 9, 2017

Timing is everything (A day on the Little Red River)

Sitting in my kayak eating lunch, thinking through the first hours of the day, I find myself questioning my decision to throw streamers all morning.  When I started, I was excited and convinced myself I was in search of one real bite.  But now I’m feeling foolish.  There have been zero flashes, misses or signs of interest in my offerings.




Peanut butter crackers and apple sauce, that’s what I grabbed as I ran out the door the night before.  Somewhere in the middle of the week my wife mentioned something about another sleepover.  I must have been preoccupied because I hadn’t prepared and wasn’t ready when she said they were leaving when she got home from work. 




Man, those extra special nymphs I tied earlier in the week would have been nice right now.  They’re kind of useless sitting beside my vise at home.  Thinking back, I was probably tying flies while she was talking about the sleepover.  Timing is everything.






It’s been raining off and on all day but it’s a steady mist now.   I can’t decide if I want to wear the rain hood on my jacket or leave it down.  Every time I put it on I get a shot of cold rain water down my back.  The last one was just enough to make me not want to do it again. 






With my hunger pains defeated, it was time to find some brown trout.  They must have sensed it was lunch time as well.  A few drifts through one good run resulted in several browns in the net.  I worked a few other areas that also held willing trout.  Sensing the day was ending and I had two-mile paddle back to the launch, I started to move back to my kayak.  There was only enough time to work one last area.  On back to back presentations I pulled two nice browns from that last run.  Timing is everything!

There is a short video I made from the trip here:




11 comments:

  1. Timing is everything. I was born too soon. How was the sleepover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that. Less crowds on the water in your time. Plus the gov't wasn't trying to sell of our public lands...but that's for another time.

      Delete
  2. I love that photo of the barely legal hanging. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you sir. It would have looked better hanging from a 27"er.

      Delete
  3. Drew
    Nice browns taken, what weight fly rod were you using? Impressed with the fly reel, and of course the kayak--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nymphing with my 5wt. Throwing streamers on the 6.

      Delete
  4. SHOOT - you know them Browns are gonna hit those streamers! Just gotta find them. If I can catch them on size 8 buggers, I'm more than positive they'll hit your streamers. And besides, I'd rather toss streamers than drift nymphs and eggs. I have found that the past few trips out to LRR, most guys are fishing nymphs (Cow Shoals) and I'm the rare guy tossing streamers. Most of my trout on that stream came on Conehead Buggers. There was the one time I caught 1 lonely fish - dad landed a dozen. If it wasn't for that buggger, I'd been skunked. If I didn't spend all my time say dreaming about Smallies and my Pops would stop taking my step-mom for stocked trout, I might go for some Browns, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll eat it for sure. Like you said just gotta find the right one.

      Delete
  5. It's almost a crime that some people get so much talent. Between the writing, the still photography, the casting, AND the video editing... Amazing.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Y2ZflC7hg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's a first, "we're not worthy"...I was a little worried about what might play. Thanks man...but don't hold your breath...one hit wonder!!

      Delete
    2. Can't understand why you'd be worried... ;)

      Delete