Thursday, August 17, 2017

VaCajuning in Grand Isle, LA


Every year in May just before school gets out for the summer, my wife gets out her calendar and starts looking at possible week-long travel destinations.  It took a few summers before I learned if I didn’t find something first, I’d end up walking around in the Houston Zoo in June or sitting on a bench at the Butterfly Museum in Branson, MO in August. 






This year, I pitched Southeast Louisiana before the drama could unfold.  The delivery was key and I made sure to highlight the things they would enjoy on our vacation before mentioning what I wanted to do. 





My wife and kids love the beach, Café-Du-Monde, riding the trolley, the Aquarium in New Orleans and air condition.  I like redfish.  So, we rented a house on the beach in Grand Isle, LA for a few days then spent two days in New Orleans.  It was arguably, one the best ideas I’ve ever had!   





Each morning, I would get up and carry what they needed to the beach.  Then I would take my kayak to the marsh and fish until around lunch.  We all agreed, Southeast Louisiana is a great place to vacation because it has something for everyone.  

4 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the sand crab or whatever it is. I suspect that your wife knew what you were up to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yeah that's a sand crab. They were everywhere. For sure she knew, but for now it will work. I know these trips are coming to an end soon. Probably replaced with white sand beaches, condominiums and barely enough space on the beach to see your shadow. I'll treasure it while I can.

      Delete
  2. Drew
    This is the kind of vacation anyone who loves to fish needs to take with the family--especially if the wife is interested in the bench or shopping. Looks like you landed some fighters---thanks for shaaring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no my wife isn't interested in the shopping. But the beach and low key is great.

      Delete