Thursday, April 13, 2017

How to Catch Grass Carp on the Fly

I was recently asked to write a post for Orvis giving some tips about catching grass carp on the fly (link below).  I faced this scenario one weekend while trying to get some images to accompany the story.


You've paddled across a bay to a nearby flat that you suspect has grass carp feeding on it.  On the way you noticed more boat traffic than usual on the water.  You also managed to spook a couple carp that you did not see. 


As you stand to scan the flat before moving further, you notice a grasser tailing at the back of the flat. This is exciting because tailing carp give you a fighting chance.  As you begin to push pole across the flat being cautious not to make a sound, you see one swimming towards you.  Do you cast at it or try to avoid it?  From experience, I know if I spook that carp it's more than likely going to put that tailer down also.  Here's what I did.


I backed off and avoided the potential land mine.  I knew my best opportunity for getting an eat was getting a fly near the tailing carp.  The moving carp was also an opportunity but the odds were not in my favor.  It was moving towards me and I wasn't sure if it was one of the carp I spooked earlier.  If you present to every grass carp you see you'll likely have a tough outing.  Being selective sometimes increases your odds of success.  This was one of many tips I provided to Orvis found here:
http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/pro-tips-catch-grass-carp-fly/

Here are two flies I use:
Grass Carp leech pattern

Be sure to check out the dry fly tying video I made here:



And a short video from the pursuit: 





4 comments:

  1. Very good article Drew. I saw it earlier this morning on FB and really enjoyed it. I'm still looking for my first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Howard. Hope you find it this year.

      Delete
  2. Great article. I have a lake nearby that was stocked with grass carp years back to control hydrilla. I have managed to hook a few but hopefully I can be a bit more consistent with your pointers.

    ReplyDelete