Friday, November 13, 2015

Get out...stay out...I'm out

Most people know me as the guy with the kayak on his truck.  I feel like they've accepted me for who I am...intense, not social, and don't make small talk.  Unless you want to talk about kayaking, camping, fishing, floating, and other related outdoor stuff.  If it weren't for my wife I'd probably be wearing old, smelly, and ragged clothes.  Phrases like this would be much more common (I already hear it weekly), "hey are those your boxers I see through the holes in your shorts."  My response being, "these are my fishing shorts."  Plus, I've safety pinned the holes closed.  What they might not understand is I only own fishing clothes...if I can't fish in it, I'm not interested in wearing it.  I've lost several of my favorite fishing outfits over the years.  Hmmm....wonder where they went since I do the laundry?



If my wife isn't around to check my behavior I end up fishing everyday.  She's been of town this week.  So the time between when I walked them to school and when the school says they must come home I spent fishing.




Turkeys at the ramp
I always remember to make it to whatever event I have scheduled, Veterans Day lunch at my kids school, and various other children's activities after school.  Since I don't particularly care how I look or smell when I'm in public...as long as it's fishy...I fish up until that time.  Aside from my wife being gone...I'm human...it's been a great week.  Fish all day and hang out with my girls all evening...awesome!

I fished all day Tuesday, until lunch on Wednesday, and all day Thursday.  Gonna post this b/c I've been slacking on the blog lately (only so much time in the day - sorry) and head out for some carp.  The week went like this:



Bass Tuesday and Wednesday.  Tried again on Thursday but after 2 hours of nothing and hearing the strangest noise in the refuge (Felsenthal NWR) I paddled up on a electroshocking boat.


I decided my first choice wasn't going to work so I went searching for carp and surprisingly found a very active group in a shallow pond.  I had pretty much decided the cool temperatures had shut them down....I was wrong.



Check out my Facebook page Looknfishy for more timely posts and pictures.  A few of my photographs have recently been featured on the Only in Arkansas FB page, http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/arkansas/ar-best-photos-4/  Wish I had that kind of luck with fish.  My luck puts me fishing behind the shock boat. I apologize for all the typos, bad grammar, misplaced commas (my motto-when in doubt comma out), spelling errors...and whatever else offends you.  I'm going fishing now!



16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It has been fun. My only complaint was all the paddling...must have covered 30 miles. May need to get some pedals.

      Delete
  2. Drew, great to see you able to do what makes you the happiest..... I know all of the other family stuff is critical to be a part of, too! Enjoyed reading your description of how much fishing means too you. Fish on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Mel, I enjoy fishing so much b/c I work hard at the family thing. Can't have 1 w/o the other....not my world anyone.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I hope that's a good thing. I'm not on any VIP lists and seldom missed at holiday parties. But I'm cool with it.

      Delete
  4. Nice bass! I'm still hanging on to the last little bit of the open water bass season here... ugh! I hate ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, we don't have to deal with that here. But we don't have native brookies either.

      Delete
  5. Drew
    I can remember those days when I was younger, I was fishing every weekend and even afternoons after work---my wife got to complaining that she needed help looking after the kids after school, so the afternoons slowed down, in other words I know where you are coming from. That cypress area is an awesome looking place to land some monster fish, nice photos of the bass and carp--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really nice fish in the refuge. So much water and everything looks fishy...it's a fun place to kayak.

      Delete
  6. Drew I think you and Kevin Frank must be related somehow. I get the same feeling about him. Live the life my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing my best Howard. I can't believe you'd insult Kevin in such a way...it's way cooler than me.

      Delete
  7. Fun times Drew.
    I love that 3rd photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Alan, I went looking for that shot. Trying to capture a few unique moments every trip. Sometimes it works.

      Delete
  8. That's a pretty awesome week, Drew. I, too, love that 3rd photo. Great shot. Catch anything around those trees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Justin. On this trip no but there's a pond right there and when the refuge starts to fall (the dam will raise and lower the water level) the bass will stack up and ambush bait as the water drops...my secret spot!

      Delete